- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 fresh lemongrass stalks tender inner white bulbs only, minced
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 3 chilies seeded and minced
- 1 scallion for garnishing
- In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat.
- In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot, and chilies and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl and top with the scallion. Serve with steamed white rice.
Recipe source: http://rasamalaysia