- 1 1/2 kg (3 pounds) chicken wings/nibbles (tip removed, drumettes and flats separated)
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes (adjust to your taste)
- 3/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame (or peanut) oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced to serve
- Red chilli flakes
- Generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly spray a large baking tray with cooking oil spray; set aside.
- To prepare the glaze, combine all of the glaze ingredients in a small bowl or jug; whisk until combined. Pour half of the sauce into a small saucepan and reserve for later.
- Trim any excess skin off of the wing edges. Season with salt to taste. Place the wings on the prepared baking tray; pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly. Arrange the wings in a single layer and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While the wings are in the oven, bring the remaining glaze to a simmer on low-medium heat, until the sauce bubbles up and begins to thicken (it should take about 5 minutes).
- Once the chicken wings are cooked on the one side, rotate each piece and bake again for an extra 10 minutes. Change oven settings to grill (or broil) on a medium-high heat setting; baste wings with half of the ready-made glaze and allow to crisp up for a further 5 minutes. They will look golden and shiny from the glaze.
- Once the wings are golden, remove them from the oven and baste again with glaze. Garnish with the cilantro, onion slices, chilli flakes and sprinkle with salt (if needed). Serve with any remaining glaze for dipping!
Recipe source: http://cafedelites