- 800g pork belly, cut into 3-4 cm thick pieces
- ½ cup Chinese rice wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce (for coloring, optional)
- 4-5 slices of ginger
- 1 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 star anise
- Parboiling — Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Put pork into saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Discard the hot water and wash the gunk off the pork with cold water.
- Braising — Place pork belly, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice wine, ginger, sugar and star anise in the sauce pan. Add water to barely cover meat. Lower heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and continue braising for about 60 minutes.
- Caramelizing — turn to high heat, take the cover off and let liquid evaporate and thicken. Turn and mix the pork to make sure the meat is covered evenly. You should end up with a thick, glistening sauce that covers the tender pork belly.
Recipe source: http://cookingwithlei