- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Place onions in a roasting pan; place chicken over onions, breast side up.
- Pat chicken dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub rosemary mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Mix wine and vinegar; pour over chicken. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Transfer onion and pan drippings to a small bowl; skim fat. Remove and discard skin from chicken before serving. Serve with onion sauce.
Recipe source: http://tasteofhome